Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Snapping Turtle

Hello all! 

I visited a local marsh late last week to see if I could photograph any migrating ducks or geese.  There weren't too many there that day and none within range.  On other visits, I have seen many Canada Geese, Mallards, and a couple pairs of Hooded Mergansers so I just need better timing!

As I was walking on the trail that leads around the marsh, I heard some rustling in the leaves and found this little fella catching some rays. 



This snapping turtle was quite accomodating in letting me take some images and after several shots, decided he'd had enough and started to head back to the water.  I had a 100-400mm lens so I was able to keep my distance and not violate his space.

I zoomed right in for some head detail images as well.  First a profile:



Then a straight on:


A little further down the path, I came across a Painted Turtle sunning on a log in the water.  However, he was spooked when I stopped and setup the tripod so no success. It would have been a good image too given the light and setting.  Oh well, maybe next time.

Enjoy the post - and happy shooting!

Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment